HORIZONTAL DIRECTIONAL DRILLING
CTS uses horizontal directional drilling (HDD) to complete any project that you have in mind! This means no digging or excavating a trench to install utility lines. We offer a quicker, safer and more efficient way to complete your installation with minimum disruption.
What would you need Horizontal Directional Drilling for?
Installing underground pipelines, cables, service conduit with minimal disturbance for a number of things:
- Under environmentally sensitive areas (such as rivers, lakes, bays, wildlife corridors)
- Beneath busy roads, freeways, intersections, parks and golf courses
- Drilling underneath houses, garages, decks, and driveways
- Across existing utility or pipeline corridors; into plants and processing facilities
- Into marine environments (eg: desalination plants)
- Into residential communities
What types of things can you use horizontal directional drilling for?
Why use HDD vs Trenching for Your Next Project?
- Costs less, especially when there are high restoration costs
- Easier installation in areas with limited access (under buildings, roads, railway tracks, hills, rivers, ponds, heavily-wooded areas)
- Less impact on job site and public
- Reduced restoration costs due to minimal impact on land, asphalt or concrete
- Maintains a cleaner job site
- Allows for installation of conduit and pipelines without the need for deep excavations or ground stablisation
- Allows for installation with high ground water without the need for dewatering pumps
- Reduced installation time, which can save time in project schedule
- Environmentally-friendly process
- Life cycle costing – You do not have on-going surface slumping and reinstatement costs from backfilled trenches
Frequency Asked Questions about Horizontal Directional Drilling
Types of pipes/lines that can be installed?
HDD is regularly employed in the installation of fiber optic cable, water and sewage mains, and electrical lines. It is also used to install all types of oil and gas pipelines.
What are the minimum and max diameters that you can drill?
We can pull product as small as 1/2 inch up to 6 inches in diameter.
What are the minimum and maximum lengths?
The max lengths and hole diameters are determined by each individual projects and their geotechnical conditions.
What information do you require before starting to drill?
To ensure the safety and integrity of our installation, we require the following before proceeding with any horizontal directional drill:
- Blueprints or drawings
- Alberta one call
- Secondary locates
- Site visit